Thursday, January 8, 2015

Chocolat By Joanne Harris

So after a while now, I decided it was time to add another post to this blog , but this time its not a new book I've read but rather a very old one and that too - a novel that got the courtesy of having a film made of it AND  which won quite a few Academy awards at that time.


This book was a real feast to read. No really!! I mean the language was mulled over with  recipes so smooth and cherishing, that one truly floated in Chocolat with its soft hearted romance and light minded penning. 
The dramatic chain of events and characterization was truly nostalgic as it took me back in time, into the small town life which consisted of such simple people and which, people actually lived then in real lives too. .I could relate with a lot of people in the book especially Armande, the old lady with mischief in her eyes , she reminded me vaguely of my grandmother. 

As I reached halfway through the book, The writer in me, started prodding me with the thought clearly showing the dramatic style in which the writing was done. As though the book was originally written scene by scene with the futuristic intent of getting filmed.... LIKE A DRAMATIC PLAY!!!

All issues were tapped and addressed with mild sprinklers with the authors main focus and passion being drawn towards protagonist and her chocolate shop. Which goes to say that the author was quite clear about the purpose; for which a reader picks up her book to read, is for entertainment and not enlightenment. 

The best tact was the way she tackled the messy bits where circumstances might've become gruesome had she not used the third persons' viewpoint whilst telling it, so that the reader did not find themselves amidst the roughness. Somewhat like a vague indication she managed  expressing the main details of what really happened from the eye of a far standing spectator, quite well. 

But her masterstroke, was in ending it with the poise with which she concluded her book. It left a soothing sensation almost healing into making me believe in the presence of humane societies. 

The word territory was well chosen and equipped firmly to each character. 

The dialogues were simple and easy to grasp, like a river of sweetener spreading peace, love and joy every place it may go. 

Many times the movie attracts viewers to go for the book, which is why  books are made into films - my marketing instincts tell me- but over here,  it looks like the gates opened the other way round. which is to say, I'm drawn towards getting my hands on the movie after reading the book. 




I used to be drooping away to sleep (since i generally read this book at night), but would want to push myself a little further just to absorb the essence flowering out from the book. The practical approach of the woman with a smile on her face carried all the way on my face too as I swam in it. May God bless the damsel  for the romantic dreams I had on some of the nights after going off to bed. 

The marketing streak I picked from her book asks me to share over here that : 

I TOO HAVE WRITTEN AND SELF PUBLISHED A BOOK OF POEMS, WITH MUCH COURAGE.. just the way she opened her chocolate shop during the season of Lent opposite the church in the book. 

So, please do check out the following links and order your copies. 

http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/275-9816025-8416820?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Poets%20Choice%20Free%20spirit

You'll also get e-books for the books if you search : Poets Choice  Free Spirit

You may also like me on Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Poets-Choice/107353709333040?sk=manager


For conclusion, I'd thank the person who lent this book to me with well meaning  generosity and sincerity. You must also read it. 

Well, I guess that completes this review!! 

I hope you like it and if you do please do share and subscribe. 

Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adios 




No comments:

Post a Comment